This is hands down the recipe most preferred by my friends and family. I am pretty sure my husband married me so that I would make him this the rest of his life.
Kenda’s Spaghetti and Meatballs
Freezing: Freeze meatballs and sauce separately.
Kenda's Spaghetti and Meatballs
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove minced garlic
28-32 oz tomato sauce
12 oz tomato paste
1 cup water
1 TB sugar
1 tsp (or a little less) salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp oregano
4 slices white or potato bread, dry in a warm oven for an hour or so
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese or a parmesan/Romano mix
2 TB dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb ground round
1. On medium heat, sauté onion in a little olive oil until just turning golden. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
2. Add other ingredients and simmer uncovered on medium low for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add meatballs, cover and simmer on low another 30 minutes.
1. Dip bread in milk and squeeze excess milk out. Discard leftover milk.
2. Mix all other ingredients, except beef, well.
3. Finally, gently mix in beef until just combined.
4. Shape into meatballs about the size of ping-pong balls.
5. Brown meatball in a frying pan with a little olive oil OR bake in oven on a rimmed cookie sheet greased with olive oil for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Flip and bake another 10 minutes.
6. Add meatballs to sauce and cook another 30 minutes.
7. Serve over spaghetti.
8. This sauce tastes best the next day